Monday, August 20, 2007

Playing in the Shadows

I received this article from a mentor and friend. And he seemed in agreement with it. Though, not so much in agreement as fond of the heart provoking conversation that could follow were he to meet with some friends at a pub and discuss it.

It strikes me as somewhat defeatist and at the same time liberating. So I'm torn. Of course if my goal is global transformation, that's a pretty tall order. It's something that could keep me busy for quite some time. And it's a good goal, provided the transformation is good. Jesus wants us to do things that are beneficial to others and if we preach the Gospel, that will transform the world right? The conferences and seminars noted in the article are meant to help us all unite toward that end. We do all want to be significant and there's nothing inherently wrong with that if our significance comes from knowing that we are part of God's great work in the world.

I don't think the problem is so much about the church trying to transform culture. The problem is that the church has it's own ideas about what that transformation will look like. So from one corner transformation equals acceptance of everyone in a "let's all get along" style of living. On another corner are the purity seekers who would love their own version of sharia law imposed on the world. Another corner has the contemplatives who want to discuss and "understand" one another. And there are more corners so you don't have to choose from these limited selections.

I have an attitude that says "Thank's for the directions Lord, I'll take the lead from here and let you know if I run into any trouble." Meantime Jesus is speaking to me softly and I can no longer hear him as I've moved too far away.

The world will be transformed one day, but it won't be according to my plan, it will be His.

Plato spoke of the world as shadows on a cave wall. The reality was in the realm of "ideas" who's shadows were cast on the wall. There's some truth to that when we realize that God created all of this out of a grand idea. That idea was muddled by sin. It will be made perfect again one day but we'll have to wait for Him to do the perfecting. Otherwise we're just playing in the shadows.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home